Sunday, April 13, 2008

Metaphor

I really struggled with these pieces. Sometimes a painting will just fall together, each stencil fitting in exactly the right spot, each flower the right size and color to begin with, and other times I feel like I'm fighting the whole time, exhausted at every decision, changing color and composition left and right until finally I end up too tired to paint any more. The funny thing is that it's usually these paintings that I end up liking the most in the long run, possibly because they were unexpected. They weren't the pieces I sought out to make, but were the paintings that struggled to form themselves out of the layers of paint, stencil and charcoal. No need to tell me that it's a metaphor for something larger. . .

2 comments:

The Birch Bunch said...

Love them - love them love them

Jane LaFazio said...

oh gosh, I love these. where are they now?